Tuesday night I barely slept at all! My alarm was set for 2:45am and despite a warm bath, going to bed early, and a Benedryl, I only slept two hours before we woke up, had breakfast, got our bags ready, and left for the hospital. My induction was scheduled Wednesday morning at 5am and I was NERVOUS! We got to the hosptial, got set up in our delivery room, and got my IV started. I was Strep B positive so I was hooked up to antibiotics and saline. What they don't tell you is that the antibiotics BURN your hand. The nurse said the burning was because the antibiotics were being pushed so quickly. Ouch! After I got my dose, my oxytocin was started and we were on our way to having a baby!
.jpg) |
| Beginning of labor after the oxytocin. We watched the "Baby Shower" edition of The Price is Right! |
After a few hours of laboring, my doctor came in and broke my water. I was told before that my fluid levels were high and they weren't kidding! I was afraid it would hurt, but it was just really disgusting feeling. After she broke my water around 11am, my contractions started to pick up in intensity.
 |
| Watching tv in the rocking chair and breathing through contractions |
 |
| Back in bed so they could monitor Nora for a little while. The pain was really starting to pick up. |
I labored in the rocking chair, standing up holding onto Bryan, walking the halls, on the birthing ball, and lastly, in the tub. My goal was to see how far I could get without any pain relief. I just wanted to see if I could do it. This was all assuming I was going to have a normal labor. Turns out, Nora was facing the wrong way and I had incredible back labor. The pain of back labor is unlike anything else in this world. Along with the front contractions, it felt like someone was crushing my pelvis, hips, and spine with a sledgehammer. By the time I was getting in the tub, I told my nurse I wanted the epidural. The labor in the tub was incredibly painful. The contractions were right on top of each other and there was no relief. I got out of the tub, got checked, and I was already at 7cm. She called in the anesthesiologist, I got my epidural, and laid in bed. The epidural only worked on one side so he had to adjust it to try and get the other side to work.
My mom got to the room to take pictures, but ended up helping my deliver my baby. The epidural only worked in one leg so I had one dead, gross, numb leg... and everything else was normal! It provided relief in my belly, but I still felt everything in my back, hips, other leg, and crotch. With the amount of pain I was in, the small amount of relief was enough to allow me to sleep (and DREAM!) in between my contractions when they were 60 seconds apart. Finally I couldn't take it any longer... I had to push. My mom and Bryan had my legs, my nurse in my face, and my doctor was nowhere to be found. After 6 or 7 pushes, my nurse told me I could attempt to breathe through the contractions for a little while and let her come down on her own. I did and it worked. After 5 or 6 more pushes (and no pain relief!) Nora was pulled out and placed on my stomach at 3:48pm. After my epidural, it took about 90 minutes for me to go from 7 to 10 and deliver! I had to get a local when being stitched up because I could feel it.. which wasn't pleasant. I tore in two different spots and got 4 stitches. Thankfully, they weren't too bad!
 |
| Miss Lenora Quinn was born 7/17/13 at 3:48pm. She weighed 7lbs 12 oz and measured 18 1/2 inches long |
 |
| After 10 hours of labor, Mom is exhausted |
 |
| Dad is in love |
.jpg) |
| Our little family :) |
 |
| Long toes! |
We had lots of visitors about an hour after delivery. It was a bit overwhelming, but it was nice to have our families close to share our big day.
 |
| My mom with Nora |
 |
| My dad and Nora |
 |
| Bryan passing out chocolate cigars while the family waits their turn |
 |
| In awe that she's so little! |
 |
| Big yawn! |
 |
| Proud, tired Mama |
Nora immediately nursed like a champ. She brought my milk down before we even left the hospital. She had no trouble latching or filling her little belly. Because she was such a good eater, I had the nurse take her from my room while we slept in between a feeding once per night while we were there. The first night she slept for two hours and the second night she slept 4! We spent 48 hours in the hospital and were on our way home! I was healing and feeling pretty good and Nora was doing very well
 |
| Nora's coming home outfit! |
 |
| So excited to come home! |
 |
| Pants came off as soon as we got home |
 |
| Pretty girl is SUCH a good sleeper! |
 |
| We've had lots of family and friends come visit us and I have loved the company! |
We've had visitors everyday and it doesn't really bother me too much. I just make sure I try to nurse her before they come and she'll be out like a light for a few hours! Our families have been making us food and that has been so amazing. It's nice to not worry about food.
 |
| Looking at dad |
 |
| Some skin to skin with mom |
Nora nurses like a champ still, and I have to say I am impressed that I am able to do it with ease! I borrowed a pump because I was getting engorged... and if I only pump for 5 minutes on each side for relief, I get 2 ounces for storage! I have to say I'm pretty impressed with myself and SO HAPPY that I'm able to provide for her. The bonding time when we nurse has been incredible. She sleeps in her swing and we have to wake her up for almost every feeding. We are able to take turns sleeping and we all sleep in the middle of the night.
Post partum life hasn't been terrible! My stitches still burn, but I'm taking care of them. I am INCREDIBLY swollen. My feet slosh when I walk and the swelling is moving up my legs. The doctor suggested warm baths with epsom salt, walking, and keeping them up while I am sitting. With nursing, I am incredibly thirsty so I have been drinking my gallon of water still. Doctor said my kidneys will get a jump start in a couple days and start working again so all of this fluid will flush. It's incredibly uncomfortable! Everything else has been okay! I've been tracking water intake, medications, using lanolin, sleeping, and eating. I'm on my way to recovery!
I love her more and more everyday. We can't stop taking pictures of her (We have hundreds already!) Tomorrow we go in for our first appointment so I'm interested to see what she weighs now! I'm nervous that she will want to nurse while we are out. I'm not sure how to nurse in public, but there's a first time for everything and we're about to try!
We are adjusting to our new life well! It feels like she's always been apart of my life.
She is so beautiful!!! What a great birth you had except for the back labor. That sounds awful but you made it so far without the epi, you should be proud. I'm glad the nursing is going well and you guys are all adjusting. Keep us updated with more pictures- I love them!!!
ReplyDeleteAhh she is so so cute!! I can't believe we have little baby's now!! Never thought they would actually come haha. Sounds like you were in a lot of pain :( But so worth it huh! Hope all is going well!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I am proud that I got so far, but next time if I have back labor, I'm not torturing myself! My back still hurts pretty bad. Its just so sore! I'm so excited that all of our girls are finally here!
ReplyDelete